Debt is an ugly word that is up there on par with other four letter words if you find yourself in it. There’s nothing fun or enjoyable when you find yourself in a situation where you don’t have enough money coming in each month to meet all of your expenses. When you find yourself in this situation, it can feel like a huge and daunting challenge when you try to resolve these issues on your own. While trying to navigate the system on your own can be overwhelming, especially with all the other stresses you have, it doesn’t necessarily have to be that way. Getting relief from your debt does not have to be a difficult process if you have the right help. The right debt lawyer can put you on the fast track to debt resolution.
Why do I need a debt relief lawyer?
A debt lawyer is an essential element in the debt relief process. You could go about trying to resolve all of your debt problems on your own, but chances are you would not have access to all of the avenues that an experienced debt lawyer does. If you are in debt and having trouble getting caught up, you might need a debt lawyer. If creditors are harassing you and calling at all hours trying to collect payments, they might be in violation of your consumer rights. Some outstanding debt can be settled, some can be forgiven, and some can even be restructured to make repayment easier. An experienced lawyer can help you find the best path for debt resolution.
What does a debt relief lawyer do?
Because they are very experienced in all aspects of consumer law, a debt lawyer not only acts as a liaison between you and creditors, they will advocate on your behalf. In other words, a debt lawyer will represent you in cases of judgments or liens and will also research any violations that creditors may have committed in the debt collection process.
Debt lawyers handle every aspect of consumer law, and will guide you in the decision making process and presenting various debt relief options. They can help with consumer debt settlements, mortgage loan modifications and even bankruptcy if that is the only available alternative.
How do I find the right debt lawyer for me?
Finding a good lawyer is not a one step process. Because consumer debt is higher than ever, many unethical companies have saturated the debt relief marketplace. There are also hundreds of scam operations out there claiming to be able to represent you in your debt situation, when in reality they only offer settlement and repayment services. The right lawyer will be one who is experienced in debt relief practices, has a comprehensive understanding of all the latest consumer debt laws and how they apply to you and the state you live in, and someone who can offer you several options to solve your problem.
Here is a checklist of things to look for when you begin searching for a debt lawyer:
• Research their credentials – If they have an online presence, do your homework and check any credentials, accreditation and degrees they claim to have. Make sure that they are who they say they are.
• Physical address – This is a big one because often, lawyers claim to have a local office but do not. It is important to work with a lawyer that is in your area so that you can meet in person and review all of your information. A lawyer with a local office will also be easier for you to get a hold of when you need to.
• References – If you can access online references from a debt lawyer, by all means do so. But keep in mind that web testimonials are often made up and are only positive. Do not rely on the references on the website only, do further research all over the web.
• Complaint bureaus – The Better Business Bureau and Chamber of Commerce in your town will be able to offer you information about any lawyer you are considering. Verify that they are established and have a good rating. You can examine any past complaints or past concerns by contacting these organizations and others like them.
• Proof of success – Once you have narrowed your choices down, ask the attorneys to show you proof of their success. If they have helped other clients achieve debt relief, ask if their clients would be willing to contact you. Ask for information on their firm or practice showing how many clients they have helped in the past and how they have helped them.
• Free consultation – Before you settle on a debt lawyer, interview several. Most attorneys will offer a free consultation. Take advantage of this opportunity to sit down and ask questions before you hire an attorney. You should find out how much their fee is, how they operate and how long the whole debt relief process will take.
There are a number of resources available to help you in your search for the right debt relief lawyer. Consumer Law QA is a directory of consumer attorneys with established reputations and years of experience in the area of consumer protection, credit disputes resolution, fraud and debt collection abuse and will help you on your journey to debt relief the right way